Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Song of Amergin








                                      The Song of Amergin
   
                                                       Possibly an actual historical person & bard
                                                       500 B.C. - The first Irish poem
                                                       Primary Character in Song of Ireland


                                                       Translation by Douglas Hyde




I am the wind which breathes upon the sea,
I am the wave of the ocean,
I am the murmur of the billows,
I am the ox of the seven combats,
I am the vulture upon the rocks,
I am a beam of the sun,
I am the fairest of plants,
I am a wild boar in valor,
I am a salmon in the water,
I am a lake in the plain,
I am a word of science,
I am the point of the lance of battle,
I am the God who created in the head the fire.
Who is it who throws light into the meeting on the mountain?
Who announces the ages of the moon?
Who teaches the place where couches the sun?
(If not I)

















                                                      

     
     

1 comment: